Being in a West End or Broadway musical is the dream of thousands of talented performers. But competition is intense and reaching the spotlight can often require a leap into the dark. So You Want To Be In Musicals? is your comprehensive guide to building - and sustaining - a successful career in musical theatre, and introduces you to everything you need to know about:
- Training how to select a drama school, what to do to get in, and what to do once you're there
- Auditioning how to choose and prepare your pieces, and foster a positive attitude towards auditions
- Rehearsing how to construct your character, work with the director, and develop your own creative process
- Performing how to deal with nerves, what to do as an understudy, and how to sustain that eight-show-a-week routine
- Working how to get an agent, how to market yourself effectively, and how to maintain a healthy body and mind
Along with a wealth of honest, straightforward advice, the book is packed with instructive anecdotes from Ruthie's own glittering career.
Written with Daniel Bowling music supervisor and director on many of the West End's biggest shows - including The Phantom of the Opera, Joseph, Mary Poppins and Avenue Q - So You Want To Be In Musicals? provides an extraordinary wealth of inside information and advice, that would usually take years of hard work and determination to obtain, in one essential volume.